Karunanidhi backs Ramadoss
In the eye of a storm kicked up by his recent stridency over his anti-Dalit campaign, Pattali Makkal Katchi founder-leader S Ramadoss received support from unexpected quarters in the form of a former ally, DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Tuesday.
Basing his support on the principle of freedom of expression, Karunanidhi condemned the administration for barring Ramadoss from entering the districts of Ramanathapuram, Madurai and now Cuddalore, charging this could be part of intimidatory tactics against opposition parties ahead of the general elections next year.
"It is doubtful that a district collector would pass such an order on his own without the consent of the state government," said Karunanidhi, alleging the state government, headed by arch rival J Jayalalithaa, was registering cases against those out of its favour under the provisions of Goondas Act and defamation cases.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow