Karunanidhi opposes death for rapists, seeks solitary confinement
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Even as several outfits, including political parties have demanded death for rapists, DMK chief M Karunanidhi marked his opposition to death penalty and said he preferred solitary confinement for life instead.
Karunanidhi maintained in a statement that he has been a consistent opponent of death penalty.
Taking on the state government led by J Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi said the Chief Minister's 13-point plan, which included booking accused under the stringent Goondas Act, would not help as the culprits would come out after a year. The Act was now being misused by the state government to punish those criticising or opposing it, charged Karunanidhi.
Even if the state government refuses to consider this, which he said was sure about, he expressed hope that the Centre would take note and take necessary steps. Karunanidhi also criticised that the state administration had not taken any steps on the various instances of sexual abuse other than charging a case, adding that no steps have been taken to prevent such incidents in future.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had urged the Centre to amend the laws to award death or chemical castration for those found guilty of rape and sexual abuse cases.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow