Kenyan hits Sudanese classmate with bottle for 'molesting' her
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
A Sudanese student of a law college in Pune was arrested for allegedly molesting his Kenyan classmate, but not before suffering a head injury from a retaliatory blow from the victim. The 20-year-old girl, who hails from Kenya, came to Pune to study law.
According to the girl's complaint, she was molested at an apartment in Kondhwa on Saturday evening by her Sudanese classmate. In self-defence, she hit him on the head with a glass bottle.
Following a complaint lodged by the girl, Kondhwa police arrested Yuggu Alfred Yokway (18), a law student from South Sudan, currently residing in Wajir Cascade in Kondhwa Khurd.
Investigation officer assistant police inspector S G Thopte said both the victim and the suspect are classmates at a law college in Pune. "So they knew each other. As per the complaint filed by the victim, the Sudanese boy wanted to meet her. He came near her residence in Kondhwa and called her. He further took her to his friend Emen Adam's residence at an apartment in Ashiyana Park, Mitha Nagar, Kondhwa.
"But when the girl realised there was nobody in the apartment, she hesitated and told him they should leave. But, the suspect pushed her into the room and molested her," he said. Police said that in self-defence, the girl hit him with a glass bottle and fled. The suspect has been wounded in the process.
After leaving the apartment, the girl contacted his friend living in Sangvi area and they both went to the Kondhwa police station to lodge a formal complaint. Police have arrested the boy under Sections 354 and 323 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
According to police, the suspect came to Pune from Sudan about a year ago on a student visa. The suspect was produced before the Cantonment court on Monday and have been granted bail.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held