Keshubhai turns 84 today, stage set for birthday bash in Surat
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
The MahaGujarat Janta Party (MJP) and supporters of Keshubhai Patel seem to have left no stone unturned to make the birthday celebrations of the former chief minister a grand success on Tuesday, when he turns 84.
Patel, who is in a do-or-die mood in his fight against Chief Minister Narendra Modi, will celebrate his birthday near Mangaldeep complex at Varachha, Surat's diamond polishing hub. This is also where his son Bharat Patel's father-in-law, Purshottam Thesiya lives. Thesiya owns a diamond cutting and polishing unit and is a leader of sorts for the Leuva Patel immigrants like him, from Saurashtra.
The event is being organised by the MJP and Patel community leaders under the banner of Keshubhai Patel Janma Jayanti Utsav Samiti, which set up an office at this venue near Hirabaug circle a few weeks ago.
Sources said over three lakh pamphlets have been distributed in different areas, inviting people to attend the function on Tuesday evening. Besides, hundreds of banners highlighting works done by Keshubhai have been put up at the entrance of different residential societies in Varachha, Katargam, Punagam, Kapodara and other areas.
They said thousands of Leuva Patels are expected to attend the function.
MJP core committee member Fakir Chauhan said, "We have invited all sections of society. They will definitely come and wish him (Keshubhai) luck in the war against (Chief Minister) Narendra Modi. People have voluntarily come ahead and shown interest in bearing the expenses of the function."
A few days ago, MJP president Gordhan Zadaphia had expressed the hope that around one lakh people would take part in the celebrations.
Meanwhile, the Surat BJP has organised a meeting in the Punagam area on the same night. Party sources said they will organise a series of public meetings this month in different wards under the banner of Satta Purnavartan Sammelan.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM