Kolkata confidential: Whipping Lord of the rings
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
Incidents of thefts at a south Kolkata neighbourhood had made residents vigilant and they kept a close eye on strangers. Government chief whip Shovon Dev Chattopadhyay is also a resident of the area and one fine morning when he saw four youths loitering near his house, he beckoned them and asked them a few questions. When they failed to give him any satisfactory answer, and above all when one of them tried to browbeat him, Shovon flew in rage. The former boxer, who have won several trophies, knocked down the fourth youths. Later, they were handed over to the police. But in his upper cut, lower cut boxing strokes, the Trinamool Congress trade union leader hurt his wrist. The next day he was seen in the Assembly sporting a huge bandage around his arm. Political circles say it is because of this reason Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has chosen him as chief whip because most of the MLAs are aware of his background of the boxing arena.
The most pro-active CPM MLA during the recent brief session of the Assembly was Abdur Rezaq Mollah. The former land and land reforms minister was seen leading his party from the front on various issues, particularly during the walkouts. So if one day he was seen tearing copies of the Bills and government papers, the other day he wrapped up himself in a mosquito ned to protest the government's alleged inaction in tackling dengue. His hyperactivity did not stop there. At a press conference later, he interrupted Leader of the Opposition Surya Kanta Mishra and said that he was ready for a showdown with the Trinamool Congress at his constituency.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held