Kolkata Port keen to use land commercially
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Kolkata Port Trust is planning to use the land owned by the company commercially to generate revenue, said Trust chairman Manish Jain on the sidelines of a discussion organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
"The current land policy does not allow us to use the land which we have for any 'commercial gain'. But nevertheless we have prepared a proposal for initiating certain commercial projects. We have earmarked certain locations in and around Kolkata, mainly Diamond Harbour Road and Strand Road," Jain said without elaborating what kind of projects they would be. He also said a transloading project in Haldia outer terminal I was in the pipeline.
"It will result in reduction of overall logistic cost, utilising the fully-laden Panamax /capsize vessels and unload/load them to a single point, low turnaround time of mother vessels by dispensing with the existing system of two port handling. There will also be low railway freight as well as better availability of rakes for the industries," he added.
Talking about port facility at Diamond Harbour, he said a dedicated container terminal at Diamond Harbour was recommended by a high-powered committee set up by the ministry.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'