Laker, Kumble ... Vikas Dixit
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
The last week has been a hectic one for the 16-year-old off-spinner Vikas Dixit. The reason for this is a performance which has put him right up there with the likes of legends like Anil Kumble and England off-spinner Jim Laker. In a DDCA league game for KG Colts, Dixit bowled out Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) single-handedly, claiming ten wickets while conceding just 26 runs.
The school boy who is perfecting his trade at Sanjay Bhardwaj's academy in Bharat Nagar ground, Dixit has endured sleeplessness with the television channels and sports scribes queueing up for interviews. The sudden acclaim has surprised even Dixit.
"I can't believe that I am getting such a treatment. You have to play for Delhi and then maybe earns all this praise. So it is surprising that despite having never represented Delhi, just a DDCA performance got me all this. I am enjoying success and hope that my performance puts me on the path to Delhi," says Dixit.
Before his ten-wicket surge that took his DDCA league figures to 18 wickets in six matches, Dixit was enduring quite a normal season, which was in fact very similar to the previous year — Dixit scalped six wickets in as many matches and scored 206 runs with the bat. But dream figures of ten for 26 has now added a lot of zing to his 2013 season, and maybe puts him in with a chance of earning himself a Delhi U-19 spot. "This performance has shown me that I can push myself and achieve results. I feel it is a duty to take my performance to a much higher level. In a way I will have to forget this match and result and start from scratch in the next so that I can concentrate on my bowling and the focus doesn't gets distracted," says Dixit who plays for KG Colts in the league.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held