Lanka erasing Tamil culture: DMK chief to PM, Sonia
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Charging Sri Lankan of carrying out a programme to erase the language, culture and religion of Tamils in that country, DMK president M Karunanidhi urged the Prime Minister and Congress president Sonia Gandhi to take measures to stop eradication of a great culture and ancient language.
In an identical letter to the PM and Sonia, he accused the authorities in the Island Nation of renaming Tamil villages, redrawing of village, town and district boundaries, demolition of temples, non-allocation of funds to resettle and rehabilitate the internally-displaced Tamil families, and promoting Sinhala settlements on Tamil lands. For instance, he said through annexures detailing the Tamil villages renamed into Sinhala, Thirukovil in Ampara district has been given the name Sirikovila; Ilankaipattinam in Trincomalee district renamed as Lankapattuna; Kilinochchi village in Kilinochchi district renamed as Granika; and Mullaittivu in Mullaittivu district into Mooladoova.
He said 89 Tamil villages have been renamed, 367 Hindu temples demolished, and 13 major and 148 mini army camps have been set up in Mullaittivu district alone.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow