Lastnight World: Scribe ‘savagely attacked’ in Cairo
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Scribe 'savagely attacked' in Cairo
Paris: A correspondent for France 24 TV, Sonia Dridi, was "savagely attacked" near Cairo's Tahrir Square after being seized by a crowd, the network said on Saturday. The news channel said in a statement she was attacked around 10.30 pm on Friday after a live broadcast on a protest at the square and was later rescued by a colleague and other witnesses. "More frightened than hurt," wrote Dridi in French on her Twitter page.
Mutiny: 723 Bangla border guards jailed
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Saturday jailed another 723 border guards for their role in the bloody 2009 mutiny, bringing the total number of soldiers imprisoned for the uprising to almost 6,000. Delivering its verdicts on the last of the 57 mutinying units, a paramilitary court here sentenced 723 rebel soldiers to different terms up to seven years of imprisonment.
Two more churches vandalised in Pak
ISLAMABAD: Two churches have been vandalised within 10 days in Karachi, taking the total number of churches attacked this year to six. The Philadelphia Pentecostal Church of Pakistan, situated in Essa Nagri neighbourhood of Karachi, was attacked on Thursday.
Twin blasts kill 8 in Baghdad
BAGHDAD: Two bombs killed at least eight people and wounded 38 more in a busy market in Baghdad's Kadhimiya district on Saturday, police and hospital sources said.
Hostage rescue: Qaeda warns France
NOUAKCHOTT: Al-Qaeda's north African wing chief Yahya Abu Hammam warned France on Saturday that any attempt to forcibly rescue six French citizens held hostage by the militant group since 2010 could lead to their death.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'