Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lavni singer Sulochana Chavan
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Veteran Lavni singer Sulochana Chavan was honoured here with the Lata Mangeshkar Award for year 2010.
The award, instituted by the Maharashtra government was presented to her by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan last night. It comprises cash prize of Rs two lakh, a citation and memento.
Chavan said the folk art should not be restricted to entertainment but also creating social awareness. "I feel the art should be a movement that should reach across the globe. The responsibility of this lies not just with the government but with the entire society. We have to work together for the welfare of folk artistes," he said.
Sulochana said she was overwhelmed at the honour and dedicated it to her co-artistes who have stood by her through out her singing career.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations