‘Lawmakers forgot about a child’s right to play’
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
Brother Williams, who grew up in the small town of Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh is the Principal of Mount Carmel School, Anand Niketan. In his interview, he talks about the art of disciplining children, his love for God and the ills that plague the education system.
How and when did you start Mount Carmel?
My wife Dr (Mrs) N M Williams started Mount Carmel on July 10, 1972, in the drawing room of our E-47 Anand Niketan home while I was an officer in the Indian Air Force. My career started after my I completed my MSc in Chemistry and I joined as a Lecturer in a college, then became an Associate Professor in Allahabad Agricultural Institute, and am now in Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Sciences.
In 1976, my personal meeting with the Lord Jesus Christ changed my life and I resigned my permanent commission and joined my wife's tiny school running at our residence.
There is an interesting story behind Mount Carmel School. Mount Carmel is a mountain close to the Mediterranean sea. In 2850 BC, Israeli King Ahab had led his country to terrible moral and spiritual degradation. God sent Prophet Elijah who challenged the King on Mount Carmel that the God, who would send fire from heaven and accept sacrifices, is the true and living God. Elijah's God answered the prayer before thousands of Israelis. Thus, the Mount Carmel got the mandate to tell the world about the coming of Lord Jesus Christ.
What is the founding principal of the school?
The school, though Protestant, takes no religious line. It is a Biblical institution. I believe that every child and teacher must be encouraged to grow in the light of God.
In all the studies that i have done in education (he had a PhD is in child-centric education), I have understood that aim of education ought to be to develop a god-fearing, people-loving useful member of society. This is what is personified by Lord Jesus Christ.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations