Lawyer arrested for attacking cops on HC premises
Police arrested Friday a Bombay High Court (HC) lawyer for allegedly assaulting a woman constable on court premises.
Rohini Dandekar was allegedly stopped at the high court gate for a security check. Enraged, she allegedly started beating constable Jyoti Gaikwad with a sandal.
The lawyer allegedly had an argument with Gaikwad, posted with the local arms division and enforcing security at HC, at around 2.30 pm and soon got physical.
"Everyone entering HC has to pass through a door frame metal detector (DFMD) and allow police to check bags they are carrying. Dandekar passed through DFMD and it beeped, indicating she was carrying metal objects. Gaikwad stopped her to ask what she was carrying, which angered Dandekar," said a police officer.
The lawyer allegedly also assaulted two other constables, posted some distance away, who rushed to help Gaikwad. She was finally overpowered and taken to Azad Maidan Police Station.
Addl CP (south region) Krishna Prakash said Dandekar was produced before a local court and sent to judicial custody.
Police said the lawyer had been booked for assault, intentional insult, criminal intimidation and deterring public servants.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow