Leopard strays into field, 1 hurt
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
A leopard strayed into a field near Talegaon Dabhade on Friday morning and attacked a farmer who sustained minor injuries after a crowd reportedly provoked the animal. Till late evening, the feline was present in the farm, forest officials said, adding that efforts to catch it were on.
According to forest officials, the leopard might have entered the field from adjacent Indrayani river. "Though the field has a wire fencing, the animal seems to have sneaked in through a small opening. Soon after the residents found it, they informed the forest officials and police. Some people from the crowd reportedly provoked the animal by throwing stones at it after which it attacked one Popat Shelar, 55, and hid in neighbouring shrubs. The man suffered minor injuries and was admitted to Pavana Hospital," said Rajendra Kadam, Deputy Conservator of Forest.
Forest officials suspect the animal is still in the thick vegetation in the field and have set up traps at multiple entry-exit points. "The 1.5-acre plot has a pump house shed and thick vegetation. A team of forest officers and policmen are guarding the area," said Kadam.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held