Letters to the editor
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
Reservation in promotion
It has been reported that a huge number of Uttar Pardesh employees resorted to strike against the quota Bill that seeks to provide reservation in promotions. The strike is justifiable. Vote-bank politics is plunging to an all-time low. Space for people hailing from majority class in employment market is already fast shrinking due to reservation in recruitment almost crossing 50% against the guidelines of the Supreme Court. People from so-called major communities or so-called forward communities are the less privileged ones today. Their share in employment opportunities are fast dwindling. Now the issue is being exacerbated by pushing the quota Bill in matters of promotion also. The government must wake up before the issue snow-balls into a major controversy. Posterity will not forgive if injustice is caused to others in the name of giving social justice to one segment of the society.
KV Seetharamaiah, Hassan, Karnataka
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'