Lokpal Bill will be passed in next budget session: Sonia Gandhi to Anna Hazare
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL spot-fixing case: Delhi Police to trace money trail in four cities
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians bowl, Sachin Tendulkar misses out
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- 5 differently abled orphan girls beaten, raped in Jaipur residential school
UPA chief Sonia Gandhi has written a letter to anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare promising him that the Lokpal Bill will be passed in the forthcoming budget session of Parliament, Hazare said.
The communication is in response to Hazare's letter to Sonia on January 22, in which the 74-year-old activist had criticised the Congress for "delaying the passage of the Bill" and exhorted the government to invite people's participation in drafting of new Bills.
According to Datta Awari, Hazare's close aide, the one-page letter was faxed to the activist on January 25 afternoon.
At Ralegan Siddhi, Hazare said, "I have received a letter from Sonia Gandhi. I had also received a letter from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's office a few days ago. They have promised me they will table the Lokpal Bill in the upcoming Parliament session. They have promised me that they will bring Class A, B C and D of government officials under the Lokpal ambit."
The anti-corruption Bill was passed by Lok Sabha in 2011 but it faced hurdles in the Rajya Sabha due to strong opposition by political parties, including UPA constituents, on some measures.
Hazare will embark on his nationwide tour on January 30 from Patna.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations