Congress sacrificing nation's interests for Gandhi family: Modi
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Launching a stinging attack on the Congress, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today accused it of sacrificing the nation's interest for the Gandhi family for which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has been appointed a 'night watchman'.
Modi, who grabbed the limelight at the BJP conclave here amid growing clamour to make him the party's Prime Ministerial candidate, tore into the Congress saying its "commission- seeeking" government at the Centre is destroying the nation like a termite.
The Congress tradition has been to sacrifice the nation's interest for the sake of one family, he said.
Without naming the Prime Minister, he said the Congress appointed a "night watchman" to keep the seat warm for the Gandhi family.
Modi, who was scheduled to speak on good governance in Gujarat, used the forum in his one-hour speech to lambast the UPA government and the Congress on corruption, security and governance issues.
"Congress is destroying this country like termites. It is very difficult to deal with termites - you finish them in one place and they rise in another. The only medicine for this ailment is sweat of the BJP worker. Only this sweat can free this nation from the termite that is the Congress," Modi said in his speech, amid applause from the gathering.
In what sounded virtually like an election speech in the run-up to the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, Modi said the time has come to throw out the Congress and bring in a government that is sensitive towards the sufferings of the people.
Attacking the Congress for scams like the VVIP helicopter deal and 2G spectrum, Modi said, "The time has come to draw a comparison between the Congress and the BJP. While BJP is for a mission, Congress is for commission. The contest will be between mission and commission."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'