Madonna calls Obama a Muslim, says she was being 'ironic'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Pop star Madonna said on Tuesday she was being deliberately ironic on stage when she erroneously referred to President Barack Obama during her concert in the nation's capital as a black Muslim.
A video clip posted on YouTube by audience members at the Verizon Center in downtown Washington captured the 54-year-old singer delivering a rousing, profanity-laced political speech about freedom during her show on Monday.
Now, it's so amazing and incredible to think that we have an African-American in the White House ... we have a black Muslim in the White House ... it means there is hope in this country, and Obama is fighting for gay rights, so support the man, Madonna said.
Obama, campaigning to be re-elected on November 6, is widely known to be a practicing Christian.
Responding to a media furor unleashed by the YouTube video, Madonna issued a statement on Tuesday through her spokeswoman saying her reference to Obama's religion was facetious.
I was being ironic on stage. Yes, I know Obama is not a Muslim -- though I know that plenty of people in this country think he is. And what if he were?
The point I was making is that a good man is a good man, no matter who he prays to. I don't care what religion Obama is -- nor should anyone else in America, she said.
Since Obama's first presidential run in 2008, fringe groups and a smattering of opponents have espoused rumors that he is secretly a Muslim, similar to persistent but unfounded assertions by some political foes that he was born outside the United States.
Madonna has been outspoken in her support of the president, going so far as to rip off her shirt during recent concerts to reveal the word OBAMA inked across her lower back.
On the North American leg of a concert tour in support of her latest studio album, MDNA, the singer has been grabbing headlines with a recent series of onstage antics.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow