Mahant Chotu Nath spends Rs 10 lakh to buy fancy registration number - CH 01 AR 0001
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
From former policemen to agriculturists to businessmen, the love for fancy registration numbers in the city continues unabated. Now add to that list the people in long robes and long locks.
At the auction for fancy registration numbers by the Registering and Licensing Authority (RLA) on Monday, the prized number, CH 01 AR 0001, went under the hammer for a whopping Rs 10.05 lakh, and it was bought by Mahant Chotu Nath of Gorakhnath Dera defeating seven other bidders.
RLA officials confirmed that the number had been bought for an AUDI Q7 worth Rs 55 lakh. When asked about his car, the mahant claimed, "I do not have a car for the number." On further questioning, he said, "I will use it for my residence."
Sources say he is heading the Nath sect and has magnificent deras, with thousands of followers in Haridwar, Badrinath and Abohar. According to one of his followers, he owns many SUVs and automobiles with similar single-digit numbers bought from Haryana and Punjab.
The second highest number during the auction held on Monday was CH 01 AR 0100 which fetched Rs 4.2 lakh.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow