Major fire breaks out at Nando’s, one injured
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
A major fire broke out at eating joint Nando's, situated at Sarabha Nagar market at around 1.35 pm on Friday, which left one person injured. The injury occurred as a result of panic created by the fire.
A deafening blast took place, according to eyewitnesses The police and fire brigade reached within ten minutes at the spot. So far, it is believed that a leak in the gas pipeline of the outlet's kitchen was the cause of the fire.
Sunil Tiwari, the guard of the building who was injured, said, "I was standing in front of the building when the blast happened and smoke engulfed the area. I panicked and started running too fast due to which my knee got twisted."
Talking to Express, Rohit Malhotra, manager of the South Africa-based chain said, "A loud blast happened and I saw all my staff running. There were around 5-6 staffers. No customers were there. Our loss is estimated to be around Rs 20 lakh with the major losses being the shattering of the main door glass and the kitchen being gutted."
The entrance of the outlet is entirely made of Tuffen glass as was around 18 x 10 feet in size. The glass shattered due to the impact of the blast.
"Techinicians will be here to check the kitchen equipments and if they are not fine, an additional Rs 20 lakh or so will have to be spent on renovation because they are all of European brands. The crockery and interiors too have been damaged. The liquor bottles are all gone and so is the food worth thousands that we prepared for lunch," said Malhotra.
Gurpreet alias Harry of neighboring store Fashion Express, said, "I was in my shop when the loud blast happened. For a moment it seemed like neighbouring shops will also be gutted but the timely arrival of the police and fire brigade saved the day. We also called up the electricity office and told them to stop the supply to the whole market to prevent short circuiting."
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM