Man accused of raping 60-year-old remanded
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Ashok Kumar (42), a courier who allegedly raped a 60-year-old retired schoolteacher at her Andheri (East) home Saturday afternoon, was produced before a court Monday and remanded in police custody till December 14.
Powai Police claimed they could not interrogate the accused properly as he was picked up from near the Tata Power Line area in Borivali Sunday afternoon.
Kumar and his victim had exchanged a few calls and police used his cell phone number to track him.
"We will begin questioning him Monday night. We are yet to ascertain the sequence of events. We will also probe the nature of their friendship," said Bajirao Bhosale, senior inspector. Police said Kumar was known to the victim as both hailed from Mangalore. But it is not clear when they came into contact.
At 12.30 pm Saturday, Kumar allegedly visited the accused at her residence on Marol Military Road and forced himself on her.
After a couple of hours, the victim called up neighbours and sought help. They rushed her to Bombay Hospital.
"We only have the victim's version. Once we interrogate Kumar, we will be able to verify everything," said Bhosale.
The victim, a widow, has two children, both of whom work abroad.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet