Man gets 7 years for raping disabled girl
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
A sessions court on Thursday sentenced a 22-year-old youth to seven years of rigorous imprisonment for raping a disabled girl in 2011. According to the prosecution, the girl had met with an accident some years ago following which a rod was implanted in her leg.
The girl used to remain at home most of the time. The convict, Sidharth Manoj Sirsawal, is a resident of Kondhwa Road and a friend of the victim's brother.
According to the police, on April 25, 2011, Sirsawal visited the girl's house when she was alone and raped her. He also threatened her against telling anybody about it.
But though the victim narrated the incident to her parents the same evening, they chose to remain silent fearing bad name.
According to the police, Sirsawal raped the girl again two days later, after which her parents took the girl to her uncle's house in Sangli district. The victim followed them there and threatened them against going to the police. After this, the parents lodged a complaint with the Miraj police, which was transferred to the Wanowrie police station under whose jurisdiction the crime had taken place.
Additional Sessions Judge A B Bhilare also imposed a penalty of Rs 20,000 on the convict.
Rs 15,000 from the fine will be given to the 20-year-old victim as compensation. Additional Public Prosecutor Maruti Wadekar examined five witnesses to prove the guilt of the accused.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'