Man hit by taxi driver slips into coma
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A day after being hit by an allegedly drunk taxi driver in Mahim, 25-year-old Bansi Chauhan slipped into coma at Bhabha Hospital in Bandra, his family said.
Bansi had suffered deep injuries to his head after Virender Tiwari rammed his taxi into him following a dispute early on Wednesday morning.
Meanwhile, Tiwari was produced before a magistrate on Thursday evening and remanded in police custody till October 16. He has been charged with attempt to murder under IPC section 307. Bansi's family said an inebriated Tiwari stopped at their dwelling on the footpath opposite Mahim Railway Station on Senapati Bapat Marg and tried to kidnap a girl sleeping in a mosquito net.
"He entered the mosquito net, grabbed her and tried to escape. Bansi heard the noise and began thrashing him. The bleeding taxi driver then drove away. We thought he had gone and were tending to the girl when Tiwari returned at great speed and drove straight into Bansi. He flew several feet and his head fell hard on the pavement. But the taxi driver did not stop, he hit us too," said Geeta Chauhan (20).
She and sister Pooja (17), cousins of Bansi, have suffered injuries to the right foot and walk with difficulty.
Two other male relatives also suffered minor injuries.
Tiwari injured a motorcyclist at Mahim Railway Station while driving away and later abandoned the taxi at Mahim Reti Bunder.
"Bansi has remained unconscious since the attack and his head is heavily bandaged. His wife and two young children are at the hospital, waiting for him to open eyes," said aunt Seeta Chauhan.
The Chouhans say they are a basket-weaving community who have lived on the footpath for more than three decades since migrating from Rajasthan. "We have lived here without a roof above our heads but in peace for 35 years."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held