Man sentenced for calling woman 'darling, jaan, janeman'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
A man convicted for "insulting the modesty" of a woman by making calls on her mobile phone and uttering "obscene words" has been sentenced 115 days imprisonment, a period already undergone by him.
Metropolitan Magistrate Kiran Gupta had convicted the man hailing from Andhra Pradesh, after the complainant woman deposed before the court that he used to make repeated phone calls in 2008 from Hyderabad and used to harass her by using "filthy and obscene words".
Keeping in view that the man had remained in jail for around four months, the court sentenced him to a period already undergone by him in prison.
"Considering the age of the accused and his mental condition and the fact that he is in judicial custody since March 3, 2012 and the fact that he had remained in judicial custody earlier also from September 2, 2008 to September 29, 2008, accused is released on the period already undergone," it said.
The court had convicted the Secunderabad-resident Raj Kumar Yadav under section 509 of IPC relating to "word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman", which entails a maximum punishment of one-year jail.
The woman had lodged a complaint and deposed that Yadav called her to the New Delhi railway station and after meeting him, she talked to him and they walked till a police station where she got him arrested.
She told the court that he "used to call her 70 times every day" and used filthy and obscene language "by uttering such words as 'darling', 'jaan' and 'janeman' with an intention to insult the her modesty".
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held