Man sets self on fire, dies
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
A charred body has been found from a flat at Marquis Lane in the Park Street police station area in south Kolkata. The deceased has been identified as Majid Hafib, the owner of the flat. According to police, Majid who owned a shop in New Market was in huge debt. "After preliminary investigation, it seems Majid has committed suicide after setting himself on fire. When locals informed the fire services, two fire engines rushed to the spot and doused the fire," said police. Majid was rushed to the National Medical College and Hospital where he was declared brought dead. A portion of the flat has also been gutted in the fire.
According to police, last night, Majid had a dispute with his wife when he asked for sleeping pills. Following this, his wife Reshma along with the couple's three daughters left the house and went to her parents' house on Stuart Lane. Later, Majid set himself on fire. His body has been sent for an autopsy.
Purulia resident shot dead
A resident of Purulia and a former colliery worker was shot dead by two miscreants today in Asansol in Burwan district. According to sources, two bike-borne miscreants shot him from point-blank range in a market place in Asansol and then fled from the spot.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow