Mata Amritanandamayi-linked youth tortured to death: report
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
A youth from Bihar who was arrested in connection with an incident at Mata Amritanandamayi Ashram in Kollam on August 1 had died of torture at the mental asylum where he was admitted after the incident, the crime branch said on Tuesday.
The crime branch, which is investigating the case, said in its remand report to a local court that 25-year-old Satnam Singh Mann was tortured to death in the asylum.
Anil Kumar, an attendant, and jail warder Vivekanandan had been arrested and remanded in connection with the murder.
In the report, the Crime Branch said there were 77 bruises on Singh's body. He was beaten up by the duo on August 4 after he clashed with another inmate, it said.
Satnam was allegedly beaten up with a cable wire and his head smashed against the wall, the report said.
He was found unconscious in his cell by evening and was rushed to the medical college hospital. However, his life could not be saved.
Four inmates who witnessed the torture and allegedly joined the two in beating up Satnam, would later be taken into custody for questioning after getting permission from the court, police said.
Mann was arrested and remanded to judicial custody on August 1 after he tried to barge onto the podium of spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi at her Amratapuri Ashram at Vallikkavu in Kollam district while she was giving blessings to devotees.
He was stopped by devotees and security guards and handed over to police, who later admitted him to the mental hospital as he appeared mentally disturbed.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow