BSP and SP stall Rajya Sabha, House adjourned
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley also demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the Leader of the House, should come and clarify whether the government wanted to run the House or not.
However, as the din continued on quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien adjourned the House for the day at noon.
As soon as the House assembled in the morning, BSP stalled the Question Hour demanding construction of a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai.
Although Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, BSP chief Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made forthwith leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, Minister of State of Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla made the announcement.
Mayawati then insisted for details of the memorial plan.
As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs. Interestingly, even as BSP members including its chief Mayawati kept silent and remained in their seats, some members from Congress including J D Seelam and Praveen Rashtrapal countered the SP members angrily.
While SP members led by Naresh Agrawal shouted in the well "Promotion Mein Reservation Nahin Chalega", some Congress members shouted back "Promotion Mein Reservation Hokar Rahega".
After the House adjourned for the day, Mayawati sat next to Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley and talked to him briefly. Jaitley and some other BJP leaders were also seen chatting with BSP leader S C Misra.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held