Media ‘biased’, so Didi will have own paper, channel
Convinced that sections of the media were out to discredit her government, Mamata Banerjee today announced that her government would have its own newspaper and news TV channel.
Both the paper and the channel would be called Paschim Banga, the chief minister said. They would disseminate "correct information" and "publicize the activities and achievements of the West Bengal government".
"The government's work is not being highlighted. We need our own news channel and paper to inform people," Banerjee said. "No matter what good deeds we do, they are broadcast in a negative way. We work the whole day, but get no credit. So I think we have to help ourselves. That is why we have taken this decision."
Banerjee had yesterday urged people to stop watching "two or three news channels of the CPM" that spread "misinformation", and instead switch to entertainment channels and music.
Today, she said the government's channel would get technical assistance from Roopkala Kendra, a state-run studio, and the newspaper would be modeled on the now defunct Basumati.
Freeze debt interest in 15 days or else, she warns
Mamata Banerjee on Saturday issued a 15-day ultimatum to the UPA government to accept her demand for a three-year moratorium on the payment of interests on the" huge debt taken by the Left regime".
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow