'Meta university' may start from next academic session: Sibal
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
The government on Friday indicated the proposed 'meta-university' concept, which will enable a student to pursue cross-disciplinary programme simultaneously, will become a reality from the next academic session.
"I am hopeful that by next academic year, we will be able to start the meta university," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said at a function.
The proposed institution, for example, will make it possible for an IIT Kanpur student to also enroll for a course in Ancient History from Jawaharlal Nehru University or a Mathematics student from Indian Institute of Science to pursue a course in comparative literature from Jadavpur University.
The university will leverage on national knowledge network programme which already connects major institutes across the country through high-speed fibre-based broadband connectivity.
Sibal said under the programme, 31,000 colleges and 6,400universities will be connected within the next six months.
The meta university also promises an unique opportunity to the country for innovation given the enormous unmet demand for high quality education in an environment of limited resources and availability of a dedicated national network, according to a report of the National Innovation Council released by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last year.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held