Minister’s son sets himself on fire, critical
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Sayan Biswas, the 24-year-old son of West Bengal Horticulture and Food Processing Minister Ujjal Biswas, tried to commit suicide at the family's Krishnagar residence on late Saturday night by setting himself on fire.
He has suffered 80 per cent burn and his condition is said to be critical.
Police said Sayan poured petrol on himself and lit a match stick at 1 am in his room. His father rushed to save him and burnt his left hand and left leg in the process, said Additional SP of Nadia Arindam Dutta-Chowdhury. He was administered first aid.
Sayan was initially taken to Shaktinagar district hospital in Krishnagar from where he was later shifted to the Intensive Care Unit of Apollo Gleneagles Hospital in Kolkata late Saturday night as his condition deteriorated.
A student of Sonarpur Engineering College in South 24-Parganas, Sayan had arrived at his Krishnagar residence a few days ago for vacation.
According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that Sayan tried to commit suicide over his failed love affair.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held