MLAs booked for assaulting traffic cop
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Crime Branch to probe case against BVA MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS MLA Ram Kadam.
Mumbai police on Tuesday booked Bahujan Vikas Aghadi MLA from Nalasopara Kshitij Thakur and MNS MLA Ram Kadam and 14 others for assaulting Assistant Police Inspector (traffic) Sachin Suryavanshi at the Vidhan Bhavan, where he had gone after he was summoned to explain his conduct a day earlier during a drive against speeding on the Bandra-Worli sealink.
His assault outside the cabin of Legislative Council Speaker Vasant Davkhare's cabin came a day after Suryavanshi had stopped and fined a speeding vehicle on the sealink in which MLA Thakur was travelling. Suryavanshi had been placed under suspension pending investigations into allegations that he had misbehaved with the MLA on Monday.
After Tuesday's assault, the injured Suryanvanshi was admitted to St George Hospital. He has given his statement about his assault to Marine Drive police.
"I was sitting outside the cabin when the MLA and his men started making provocative gestures. More than 10 men came to me and began hitting me. The men, who included Thakur and Ram Kadam, threw me to the floor and assaulted me," said Suryavanshi.
"Yesterday, I was just doing my duty but the MLA threatened and abused me," added Suryavanshi.
On Tuesday evening, Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said that at 9 am on Tuesday, Vivek Phansalkar, Joint Commissioner of Police (traffic), received an SMS from Legislative Council Speaker Vasant Davkhare summoning Suryavanshi to his office. After the text message, Suryanvanshi and his senior, P S Kore, went to Vidhan Bhavan.
"On reaching there, they entered the cabin of Davkhare, where three MLAs were already seated," said Singh. A few minutes later, Davkhare asked Kore and Suryavanshi to wait outside. "While the two officers were waiting, six men attacked Suryavanshi. He was rushed to St George Hospital," added Singh.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held