Mobile phone prize money hoax costs woman Rs 27 lakh
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Four persons were arrested for allegedly duping a woman of Rs 27 lakh on the pretext of giving her prize money won by her mobile phone number.
Nashik's Tapovan area resident Jaswinder Kaur Jagatransingh Hans, in her police complaint lodged earlier this week, alleged that she had received calls on her mobile phone since October from some persons claiming that her mobile number had won prizes worth Rs 25 lakh cash, a five tola gold necklace and a car worth Rs 22 lakh.
The accused asked her to deposit the amount for taxes and other expenses in a bank account number given by them following which Jaswinder deposited Rs 26.93 lakh in it, by selling her house.
However, when she did not receive the prize money and other things, she lodged a complaint with police.
With the help of her call records, police traced the numbers and arrested two of the accused - Amit Amarendranath Biswas (28) and Mihir Ashutosh Bhattacharya (56) - from Nashik yesterday.
A police team was also sent to Kolkata to trace the other persons based on mobile call records following which two persons - Chanchal Ghosh and Mansukh Ghosh were detained there.
The two would be brought to the city and interrogation of the accused was on to probe the case, police added.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held