Modhwadia, Gohil, Patel, in Congress first list
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Gujarat PCC chief Arjun Modhwadia, CLP leader Shaktisinhji Gohil, former PCC chief Siddharthbai Patel and several other sitting MLAs figure in the first list of Congress candidates announced by the AICC for the state Assembly elections.
While Motwadia has been re-nominated for his Porbandher seat, Gohil has been fielded from Bhavnagar rural. Patel is the party nominee from Dabhoi.
A total of 52 candidates have been announced for the phase I and II elections.
In the 182-member Gujarat Assembly, Congress has been in opposition for last two decades.
The Election Commission has already issued notification for the first phase of Gujarat Assembly elections for 87 constituencies where voting will be held on December 13.
Notification for elections to remaining 95 seats (of the total 182) in phase II will be issued on November 23. The second phase of polling will take place on December 17.
Congress has given tickets to some 20 sitting MLAs, plus seven others who had lost in 2007.
A noteworthy candidature is that of sitting MP from Rajkot, Kuvarji Bavaliya, who has been fielded from Botad in Bhavnagar district, the constituency of Minister of State for Energy Saurabh Patel.
Bavailya belongs to Koli community, which is numerically strong in Botad.
Son of Congress MP Vitthal Radadia, Jayesh has been given ticket from Jetpur constituency of Rajkot district. Congress has also given ticket to veteran cooperative movement leader Natwarlal Patel from Mehasana.
Former BJP MLA Jitu Patel, who joined Congress recently, has been given ticket from Naranpura in Ahmebabad city.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow