Mohali at the bottom of PSEB merit list
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Of all the districts in Punjab, Mohali has secured the minimum merit positions in the Punjab School Education Board (PSEB) Class X examination. Ludhiana has bagged the maximum positions (169).
Only one Mohali student's name has figured in the merit list.
Amandeep Kaur, a student from Government Model Senior Secondary School, Kharar, scored 850 out of 950 marks (89.47 per cent) and was placed at 147th position in the merit list of 403 students.
From the Mohali district, 11,000 students took the exam.
Mohali District Education Officer (Secondary) Niranjan Singh said it was a matter of pride that a government school student topped the district.
"In Class-XII results also, two Mohali students in the merit list were from government schools," he said. "In previous years, not even a single student from Mohali figured in the merit list."
Singh said against the 50,000 students from 400 schools in Ludhiana, only 11,000 students from 87 schools in Mohali took the exam. "Also most of the merit holders from Ludhiana are from private schools," he said.
He said teachers of government schools, where less than 10 per cent students have passed, would be chargesheeted.
Amandeep wants to become a teacher
Upbeat over the feat, Amandeep wants to become a Science teacher. "I was expecting good marks, but did not even dream that I would be the district topper."
Amandeep is the eldest of farmer Sukhjinder Singh's three daughters.
"I took tuition for two months and studied four hours daily," she said. Amandeep also helped her mother Mohan Kaur in household chores.
Merit slots secured by districts
Ropar, Moga 11
Mansa, Bathinda 9
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held