Mollah in hospital after assault, CPM accuses TMC leader
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
CPM MLA and former minister Abdur Rezzaq Mollah (70) was hospitalised after Trinamool Congress cadres, allegedly led by former MLA Arabul Islam, assaulted him on Sunday at Bhangar. The incident triggered tension in the area with CPM cadres taking to the streets and demanding immediate arrest of culprits, including Arabul Islam.
According to reports, the attack took place around 12.30 pm when Mollah was coming to the party office at Katatala which was burnt down on Saturday night allegedly by Trinamool-backed goons. Trinamool supporters, led by Arabul, reportedly stopped Mollah's car and ransacked the vehicle. Trinamool cadres pounced on Mollah and beat him up. When he fell on the road, they punched him on his face and kicked on his chest. The assault continued till policemen came to the spot. Mollah was taken to a private hospital in his car.
State Left Front chairman Biman Bose issued a press release demanding arrest of Arabul and the other attackers.
Dismissing charges, Arabul said: "Mollah is telling a lie."
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow