More rape, molestation cases in Punjab, Haryana; cops among culprits
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Cases related to sexual assault and other crimes against women continued to pour in twin states of Punjab and Haryana including those allegedly involving cops, even as police claimed to have become "over sensitive" to gender-related offences in the wake of Delhi gangrape episode.
An ASI and his son were arrested for setting afire their daughter-in-law as they were unhappy with her for bringing insufficient dowry in Baldev Nagar of Ambala city of Haryana.
Baldev Nagar SHO Pawan Kumar said Vikas was arrested on Tuesday. Father-in-law of the victim Surender Rana, was arrested yesterday.
Nisha was allegedly set on fire by her husband and father-in-law since she could not bring in more dowry and is currently battling for life, police said.
Punjab police arrested an ASI of the Punjab Armed Police (PAP) on the charge of molesting a 10-year-old girl in Mohali.
The accused has been identified as Desh Raj, who was posted as guard at Punjab Congress Bhawan here.
In his complaint to police, a migrant labourer hailing from Uttar Pardesh had accused Desh Raj of molesting his daughter, a student of Class 7.
The complainant said the accused used to stay in their neighbourhood in a rented accommodation and alleged that Desh Raj had misbehaved with his daughter on December 23 when she had gone to attend the nature's call.
In a separate incident, a 22-year-old married man was arrested for allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl in Vikas Nagar Colony at Baltana in Zirakpur in Punjab's Patiala district, police said.
The incident took place when the victim's family had gone out for work and she was at home with her minor sister. The complaint was lodged by the victim's father hailing from Budaoon district in Uttar Pardesh, police said, adding that he was a daily wager and was currently residing in the colony.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held