Attack on Malala
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Attack on Malala
The brutal attack on 14-year old Malala Yousufzai, by Taliban for defying them on the issue of women's education, has been the subject of immense discussion. The daily Siasat, published from Hyderabad and Bangalore, in its editorial on October 13, writes: "The murderous attack on the student (Malala) is a despicable act and the accused are being compared with animals. She had committed the only mistake of raising her voice against Taliban and launched a campaign for education of girls and against the closure of girls' schools. The Taliban are working against Shariat on the pretext of the promulgation of Shariat."
But the paper adds: "There is no doubt that apart from condemning this act of Taliban, the entire world is expressing concern about the treatment of this student. But why is the world community worried only about the future of this Pakistani student whereas in the entire world, particularly in the Middle East, Israel has made Palestinian girl students the target of its barbarity? In Iraq and Afghanistan, the Americans have killed a number of young and innocent girl students. At that time the world powers did not think of sympathy..."
Jamaat-e-Islami's bi-weekly, Daawat, in a front page commentary on October 22, writes: "A girl of tender age was attacked. It was a very bad thing, and everyone is rightly condemning it... No one can deny that Malala and young girls like her should get contemporary (modern) education. Those who are opposing it deserve condemnation. And if this opposition is in the name of Islam, it is extremely regrettable. But in the global campaign for sympathy for Malala it is being seen that Islam and Islamic groups are the targets. In fact, Islamic groups are being condemned. It is being said by the media... including the Indian media, that the attitude of Taliban to women is according to the teachings of Islam."
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow