MTDC hits wall, no one expresses interest in special Volvos to Konkan
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) plan to roll out special Volvo buses to Konkan region from Pune and Mumbai to give tourism in the scenic coastal area a boost has hit a bottleneck. There has been no response from tour operators to expressions of interest (EoIs) the MTDC invited twice since November.
MTDC would shortly invite EoI for the third and the last time, MTDC managing director Jagdish Patil said on Friday.
As proposed by Tourism Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, the Volvo buses will have Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS tracking systems, and LCD television among hi-tech facilities.
Three Konkan districts of Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg have been considered by MTDC for starting Volvo bus services, through which popular tourist places in these districts would be covered under special tour packages of different duration. "Tour operators have not responded to our EoI invited twice in the last couple of months. Now, we are inviting the same again for the last time. We have approached the MSRTC (State transport) and even some famous tour operators with our plan," Patil said.
He said MTDC plans to invest Rs 5.5 crore in the Volvo bus project. The tour operators would have to ensure luxurious and hassle-free service to tourists.
Harihareshwar, Murud-Janjira, Dive-agar in Raigad district, Temple of Lote Parshuram, Bhatye beach and Ganpatipule in Ratnagiri district and Sindhudurg fort, Tarkarli, Kunakeshwar and Sawantwadi in Sindhudurg district are being planned to be covered under the Volvo tour packages plan.
Increasing footfall of tourists, including visitors from abroad, to Konkan region every year has been boosting tourism and allied businesses in the coastal area. More than eight lakh tourists, including a considerable number of foreigners visit Konkan in New Year and other tourist seasons, resulting in business to the tune of over Rs 20 crore, as per sources in the hospitality industry.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow