Mumbai serial blasts, which killed nearly 300, result of Pak envy: Home Minister Shinde
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
In a veiled attack on Pakistan, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde today said the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai were the result of a neighbour's envy to India's economic progress and vowed to bring back all terrorists, including Dawood Ibrahim, to face trial here.
He also said that the neighbour is still trying to weaken country's economy by pumping fake Indian currency notes.
"We launched the economic reforms in 1991 and subsequently India had achieved rapid economic progress. But a neighbour became envious of our development. Soon, there were 13 blasts in Mumbai (in 1993)," he said, addressing a programme here organised by TV Today Group.
Shinde said all fugitive terrorists, including the 1993 Mumbai blasts mastermind Dawood Ibrahim, would be brought back to India and punished for their crime.
"Not only Dawood but other terrorists sitting in safe havens will be brought back to India to face trial. We are working with some international organisations," he said.
Last month, addressing the Interpol General Assembly in Rome, Shinde had said the masterminds of the heinous serial blasts are sitting in safe havens in Pakistan which has taken no action against them despite being provided with credible evidence.
Referring to circulation of fake Indian currency notes, the Home Minister said the nefarious design was being carried out by a neighbouring country to destroy India's economy.
"We are taking a number of steps to check the menace as economic security is paramount," he said.
The coordinated attacks in a single day resulted in nearly 300 fatalities and 700 injuries. The attacks were coordinated by Dawood Ibrahim.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow