Mumbai underground: Promotion no fun
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Two assistant police inspectors were recently overheard griping about how becoming an inspector would not be fun.
"What's the use? APIs and PIs both have three stars on their shoulders. Ninety per cent of people out there wouldn't know the difference. Common people know both as 'two-star sahebs'. Kay maja aahe? (Where's the fun)?".
The complaining session went on till someone pointed out even assistant commissioners of police had three stars on their shoulders. "You don't hear them complaining," the sage mind said, putting an end to the discussion.
No time for people
Not many Slum Rehabilitation Authority projects have taken off, but its officials are reluctant to meet people to get works done. Earlier, they would meet visitors for two hours in the morning, not anymore. In fact, head of the department now meets people only for an hour, that too post-lunch.
Not the BEST joke
At a BEST committee meeting Tuesday, members of parties other than Congress raised a hue and cry about how the Congress-led government was burdening the common man and the public undertaking by increasing fuel prices.
Samajwadi Party corporator Yakub Memon said: "The other day, I saw a long queue of people. I was curious and went there to see a beggar sitting with a placard that read give me money or I will vote for Congress. Then, you will have to also sit here and beg with me."
Needless to say, Congress members at the meeting took serious offence.
Chatai kshetra expands
The transformation of city politicians over the last 50 years was summed up by senior Shiv Sena leader Manohar Joshi through an anecdote at a function in Mumbai recently.
Joshi said a politician he met four decades ago had no idea what floor space index (FSI) was. FSI is chatai kshetra in Marathi.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations