Municipal councillor murders daughter, commits suicide
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
A young Delhi municipal councillor allegedly murdered her one-and-half-year-old daughter before committing suicide in her west Delhi residence early this morning, with her family alleging that she took the extreme step due to dowry harassment.
Satyam Yadav (26), Congress councillor from Nangloi East in North Delhi Municipal Corporation, was found hanging from the ceiling of her house while her daughter Vanishka was found murdered in her room, a senior police official said.
The incident came to light when her sister-in-law entered the room this morning. Satyam's husband was with his mother who was not keeping well.
The reason for Yadav, a post-graduate, taking the extreme step was not known, the official said, adding they were investigating the matter as they have not recovered any suicide note.
Her husband Pawan Yadav is a teacher in a college.
Investigators said it appeared that the Councillor first strangled her daughter and then hanged herself.
"We can tell definitely how the girl was killed only after post mortem," the official said.
Satyam's family alleged that her in-laws were demanding Rs ten lakh and car from them. They also alleged that her in-laws did not allow them to meet her.
"Her in-laws were demanding Rs 10 lakh and car. We went to Delhi to bring her to Bulandshahr for a function. But they refused to let her come and said they will not leave her until the money is paid," her brother alleged.
An enquiry by a sub-divisional magistrate rank officer has been ordered.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow