Naib Tehsildar dies, daughters light his pyre
- BCCI says it can't control bookies, promises to 'fix' guilty players
- Counter-terrorism to top Indo-US Security dialogue agenda: Sushilkumar Shinde
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Pune Warriors bat, Ashok Dinda back
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives today, PM to seek early revival of border talks
- Telangana very much part of UPA national agenda: P C Chacko
Paramjit Singh Guram, Naib Tehsildar holding dual charge of Dhuri and Malerkotla Sub-Division, died after a brief illness on Saturday. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.
In a first-of-its-kind act, the population of Bharthala village, falling in Samrala district, came out in huge numbers urging the girls to light the pyre of their father. Acting on their advice, the two daughters, Gulnaaz Gurum and Aksrupreet Guram, in the presence of almost the entire village and many prominent personalities lit the pyre.
The wreath on behalf of the state government was placed by Kumar Rahul, Deputy Commissioner, Sangrur. In addition, the other imminent personalities who attended the funeral included Dhuri MLA Ajaib Singh, Congress MLA from Samrala Amrik Singh Dhillon, eminent educationist Prof B S Guram, ex-DPRO Punjab Ujagar Singh, Rara Sahib head Sant Jaswant Singh, ex-minister Satwant Kaur Sandhu, ex-president of the Municipal Committee, Samrala, Kamaljeet Singh.
The bhog and antim ardas for the departed soul will be held at Bharthala village on December 9 at 1.30 pm.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet