Narendra Modi comes in for praise from Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal today showered praise on Chief Minister Narendra Modi and said that under his "resolute leadership", the state gave a "new direction" to the entire country for progress and good governance.
"Gujarat has now become a torch-bearer in carving out a concrete path to progress by bringing about a positive change in the mindset of the entire nation," she said in her speech addressing the inaugural session of the new assembly here.
"The state has also achieved the distinction of showing a new direction to the entire country for progress and building a great nation through translating the approach of good governance into reality," she added.
The Governor, who had been at loggerheads with the Modi government on appointment of Lokayukta, also commended the 'glorious tradition and strong character' of the state and said "people of the state have recently put their stamp of support and acceptance on the performance of my government which has displayed utmost sincerity to the people with diligence and delivered results."
Congratulating all new members of the House and particulary Modi, she said "I heartily congratulate the determined people of Gujarat, all new members of the Assembly and particularly the Chief Minister who has been consistently providing efficient and resolute leadership to the state for a period of 11 years."
On Modi's Sadbhavana Mission, she said "this has helped in building peace, unity and unprecedented harmony in the state. This is a glorious chapter in the history of the nation."
In her concluding remarks, she said "my government is fully determined to harness the competence and potential of six crore Gujaratis for development and create a global image of Gujarat."
Today, before concluding the one-day session, the Speaker put the motion, thanking the Governor for the address, before the House, which will be taken up for voting on the first day of the budget session beginning February 20.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow