Narendra Modi labels Shashi Tharoor's wife a 'Rs 50 crore girlfriend'
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi took potshots at Union Minister Shashi Tharoor's personal life, saying his wife was once his "50-crore-rupee girlfriend", a day after he made a comeback in the Union Cabinet reshuffle.
"Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ka girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend?. Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend), Modi said at an election rally, in an apparent attack on Tharoor's wife Sunanda Pushkar.
"There was a Congress leader who was a minister. He was accused of amassing wealth from cricket. He had said in Parliament that he is not connected to the Rs 50 crore in the lady's name," the BJP stalwart said in an apparent reference to Tharoor in the context of the IPL cricket controversy involving Pushkar in 2010 which led to his resignation as Minister of State for External Affairs minister.
Modi, however, did not take any names.
"...And then girlfriend becomes wife, we learn some time later...the issues are still not settled and he(Tharoor) is now made a minister," the chief minister said.
The suave diplomat-turned politician was made the Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development.
After Modi's Rs 50 cr barb, Tharoor says his wife "priceless"
Hitting back at Narendra Modi for his attack on his wife Sunanda Pushkar, Union Minister Shashi Tharoor today said she is "priceless" but the Gujarat Chief Minister needs to be able to love someone to understand that.
Tharoor also said his wife was worth a lot more than Modi's imaginary Rs 50 crore.
"My wife is worth a lot more than your imaginary 50 crores. She is priceless. But you need2be able2love some1 2understand that," Tharoor tweeted.
Speaking in Shimla yesterday, Modi had taken potshots at Tharoor's personal life, saying his wife was once his "50-crore-rupee girlfriend", a day after the Congress leader made a comeback in the Union Cabinet reshuffle as Minister of State for Human Resources Development.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’