NCP corporator booked for extortion bid
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Vikhroli Police have booked NCP corporator Haroon Khan for allegedly attempting to extort Rs 25 lakh from an engineering firm owner. A Khan aide was allegedly caught red-handed Tuesday accepting money on his behalf. Vikhroli Police said Anil Kumar Singh, who owns Vishal Engineering Private Limited and had received a private infrastructure contract from Godrej, alleged Khan demanded Rs 25 lakh and threatened to kill him if he failed to pay.
"We laid a trap Wednesday night on Godrej Company premises, where Amit Chaudhary was caught accepting bribe," said senior inspector Mahipat Indalkar of Vikhroli Police Station. Khan has been booked under IPC sections 385 and 387.
The corporator, however, denied involvement and claimed the allegations were an attempt to get even with him as he had complained against Singh a month ago.
"Singh cut some trees illegally for a project and I complained to the ward office. Police can question me and analyse my call records to see if there has been any talk between me and Singh."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held