Nehal, Shweta emerge champs
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Nehal Gaonkar and Shweta Dawar emerged the men's & Women's Tennis champions respectively of the inaugural Mumbai Games played at the at the Tennis Center of Excellence, University of Mumbai, Kalina University.
In the final, Nehal got the better of Nishant Rout, defeated in two sets 6-4, 6-0, while Shweta beat Rina Gupta in Women's final 4-1 to won the title. While in the boys u-21 final, Sahil Inamdar defeat Devul Dighe 8-4 and u-16 final Aman Shetty defeat Sushil Somanathan 8-1. Over 1500 Mumbaikars, across all age groups and represented eight zones of the city, was participate in the Mumbai Games, a unique community sporting event, over two weekends.
Results: Men's Open (Final): Nehal Gaonkar bt Nishant Rout 6-4, 6-0. (Semi Finals): Nishant Rout bt Kunal Parab 6-3; Nehal Gaonkar bt Firoz Shaikh 6-3. Boys u-21 (Final): Sahil Inamdar bt Devul Dighe 8-4. (Semi Finals): Devul Dighe bt Aslam Shaikh 6-1; Sahil Inamdar bt Vishwajeet Sangle 6-1. Boys u-16 (Final): Aman Shetty bt Sushil Somanathan 8-1. (Semi Finals): Sushil Somanathan bt Ajinkya Shinde 6-4; Aman Shetty bt Yatiraj Karhade 6-0. Boys u-12 (Final): Siddhant Bhavnani bt Tejasvi Mehra 8-5. (Semi Finals): Tejasvi Mehra bt Srijesh Pillai 6-1; Siddhant Bhavnanai bt Saahith Shetty 6-3. Women's Open (Final): Shweta Dawar bt Rina Gupta 4-1. Girls u-16 (Final): Veenita Dawar bt Madhura Tangdu 8-0.
Sunil Verma Memorial Squash
The Sunil Verma Memorial Open Squash Championship for junior boys and girls, in memory of the celebrated squash coach from Jindal, who had an unexpected premature death, will be held at the Jindal Recreation Complex, Vashi from January 18 to 23. The tournament, sponsored by JSW Steel Ltd. Vashind, will offer prize money to the tune of Ra 1.25 lakh and will have competition for Boys and girls u-19, u-17, u-15, u-13, u-11, besides a mixed event for boys and girl under-9. Entry forms are available on the website www.ispsquash.com and entries for the event close on January 16. Entries can be sent by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Transport will be available to players arriving by train from Vashind Station to the venue and back.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet