New crowd-pullers of PU: MCA, LLB
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
In OCET, as many as 4,618 students had opted for either of the two against 804 seats
Master of Computer Application (MCA) and Bachelor of Law (LLB) are the two most sought-after courses at Panjab University, going by the number of applicants appearing in the Other Common Entrance Test (OCET) this year.
According to the official figures, of the 14,853 candidates appearing in OCET from June 16 to 19, a total of 4,618 had opted for either MCA or LLB against the total of 804 seats in the two courses.
For admission to the three-year MCA course at PU's Department of Computer Sciences, Chandigarh, Mukstar and Hoshiarpur centres, 2,420 applications were received this year. There are a total of 175 seats offered for the course — 95 in PU, 55 in Hoshiarpur and 25 in Muktsar.
Similarly, the number of students applying for the three-year law course (LLB) turned out to be as high as 2,198 against 631 seats. The course is being offered at PU's Department of Law and Department of Evening Studies. In the region, the course is also being offered at PU's regional centres in Hoshiarpur and Mukstar.
According to PU officials, the key reason for the growing popularity of these courses is the increase in the demand for related jobs in the markets. "Both IT and law are emerging as popular and highly paid professions. A number of students, after completing their graduation in other fields, are seen opting for MCA," said a senior PU official.
For the two-year master of law (LLM) course offered at PU, a total of 356 applications were received against 46 seats.
The other popular courses covered under the OCET include Masters in Mass Communication and Journalism, offered at School of Communication Studies, Master of Engineering (ME) in Computer Science, ME in Electronic and Communication Engineering, offered at University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET), Master of Commerce (MCom hons) being run at University Business School (UBS) and Masters in Environmental Sciences.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet