PM has given Indian democracy 'new' definition: Narendra Modi
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Taking a dig at Manmohan Singh for allowing FDI in multi-brand retail, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today said the Prime Minister has altered the definition of Indian democracy to "of the foreigners, by the foreigners and for the foreigners."
"Now onwards pen, pencils, notebooks would not be sold by your neighbourhood shopkeeper but some 'gora' (foreigner). So, local traders and retailers will lose employment," Modi said here while addressing a large gathering at Vivekananda Youth Convention here in Kutch district.
"Former US President Abraham Lincoln gave world famous definition of democracy – 'of the people, by the people and for the people'--, but our Manmohan Singhji has given us a new definition – 'of the foreigners, by the foreigners, for the foreigners'," he said.
He alleged that the decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi brand retail has been taken when there is no level playing field between global manufacturers and domestic producers, facilitating the foreigners.
"This Congress-led government has overnight introduced FDI in retail, keeping Parliament in dark and have broken the promises it has given on the floor of the House," he added.
Modi also blamed the Prime Minister for not taking effective steps to control violence, in spite of him being elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam.
"Bangladeshis, who are foreigners, have started asserting their rights in Assam and our Prime Minster who is also elected from Assam is silent," he alleged.
"If you put these two issues, violence in Assam by foreigners and allowing FDI in retail together it clearly shows central government's love for foreigners," he alleged. Modi was accompanied by senior BJP leader L K Advani at the function.
In line with the series of new announcements, since Modi embarked upon his Vivekananda Yuva Vikas Yatra, the chief minister today announced that now onwards the state government will become guarantor for every youth who seeks bank loans for starting any new venture.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet