Newly wed woman gang-raped in West Bengal
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Another incident of gang-rape has been reported in the state, this time from south Khairibari in north Bengal's Jalpaiguri district under Falakata police station.
According to the police, a newly married couple, residents of Degaon in Panchmile, Falakata, were returning to their village from south Khairbari area around 4 pm on Monday. On the way they were reportedly stopped by two locals, later identified as Manik Das and Amal Das, who started questioning them. The two also made some calls on the mobile phone following which three more men reached the spot, said the police.
The five men started beating up the man and snatched away his money and mobile phone. Later, he was tied to a tree and the woman, who was in her 20s, was raped by all five of them, said the police.
The girl, who had fallen unconscious, came around in some time and untied her husband. Both are then said to have informed the locals there, who managed to catch hold of Manik Das. A police complaint was lodged at the Falakata police station around 9 pm.
Police sources said the couple was taken to the Falaghata Gramin Hospital. The woman was later taken to Birpara State General Hospital for a medical test confirmed rape, added sources.
Officials of Falakata PS started a search operation and arrested Amal Das from Falakata Railway Station at 11.45. "He was trying to board a train to Assam," said an official. "The two are in 10-day police custody," said additional SP, Alipurduar.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held