Nigerian nabbed with cocaine
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
The UT police Wednesday arrested a Nigerian national who was trying to escape with cocaine packed in creme bottles. 45-year-old Godwin Ulo Awa, living on rent in Sector 69 is a property dealer by profession and was on his way to Shimla in his personal car when he was nabbed by the UT police at 9 am. A local court Wednesday remanded him to five days in police custody.
Sub-Inspector Om Prakash, in-charge the Police Post, Daria said, "Godwin had been active for four to five years. He had operated in Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Himachal Pradesh and is in the wanted list of all these police departments". Today, Godwin was on his way to Shimla to deliver the contraband when he was arrested at a naka near the Railway Station, Chandigarh.
According to sources, Godwin had bought the cocaine seized by the police on Wednesday from a fellow countryman Atol, a resident of Delhi. Preliminary investigations had revealed that the accused has some links with other drug peddlers in India and abroad. He had also been getting the supply of contraband from across the borders. The police officials also said that the accused has some contacts with persons at the Wagah border area. He has been an active drug peddler for the last five years.
SI Om Prakash said, "He had been coming and going to Africa on several occasions. However, his links in India are yet to be established". Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) officials confirmed that the quality of the cocaine seized from him was of a very pure quality. Also, the total amount of the seizure is estimated to be Rs 1 crore.
One of the sources in the police also said that UT police was on the look-out for Godwin for a few months. "Some time back he had delivered a contraband in Amritsar and fled. The Amritsar police had cased him till Mohali where he managed to escape," said the SI.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations