Nitish lauds PC for status review
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar hailed the Budget and heaped praises on Finance Minister P Chidambaram for stressing the need to redefine criteria for granting special category status to states.
Bihar has been demanding special status. The JD-U held a rally a couple of months ago to press this demand and plans to hold another rally in Delhi in March. Nitish lauding the FM assumes political significance with the CM saying during his Adhikar Yatra that the JD-U will support a coalition which will grant Bihar special status.
"People of Bihar have reasons to be happy because the Centre has decided to redefine criteria for giving a state special category status. I have long been trying to emphasise that criteria of backwardness need to reviewed. We thank the FM for appreciating our concern," Nitish said. He also lauded Chidambaram for continuing special assistance for Bihar and for the decision to make Nalanda International University a 'centre of excellence'.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'